North Eastern Locomotive Preservation Group

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Q6 Blog

A record of events, activities and our work with the Q6

Saturday 8th February 2020


Ian Pearson reports a fine sunny day at Grosmont yesterday, with the wind getting up later in the afternoon. A large number of volunteers were present, with Chris Henwood, Paul Hutchinson, Neal Woods, Nigel Dyson, and Trevor Wilford working mainly on the J27, while Nigel Crisp was busy all day boring the left-hand cylinder on the T2. Ian arrived later in the morning, delayed because of having to have a puncture repaired. Arthur Jenkins and Andy Lowes were training four JV's during the morning and afternoon in the machine shop on workshop practices under the control of Bryan Orange. Three more JV's with one Dad spent all day cleaning T2 hand hole and mud hole doors, and also wash out plugs. The final JV and his Dad cleaned and painted the tender way shaft down at the MPD, and also cleaned and painted the tender way shaft housings in the workshop. Ian had a go at removing back head plugs from the cab but only managed to remove two as they were so tight. But Paul Hutchinson came along from the J27 to help, and managed, with great difficulty, to remove the other nine. There are still two at the bottom of the throat plate to remove, so a job for next time. The steam brake cylinder can now be brought up from the MPD next week. Nigel Crisp is coming in today (Sunday) to continue boring the left-hand cylinder and hopes to complete the task next Saturday. Lunch was had around the stove and the JV's had theirs in the MPD mess room.

On the J27, Trevor Wilford spent the day removing carbon for the cylinder covers: these are now immaculate. Nigel Dyson removed the old valve gasket and the sealing faces of the cylinders, as well as wire brushing the studs. He then did a similar job on the safety valve and whistle bosses. Neal Woods completely serviced the whistle, and was on hand for advice as Chris Henwood continued with the back head exam. Paul Hutchinson completely greased and generally lubricated the brake rigging, and then adjusted the loco brakes.


Wednesday 5th February 2020


A cold fine day with a frost at Grosmont yesterday, with Ian McCall, Nigel Bill, and myself, plus Jon Bradley and Ian Pearson first attending the annual NYMR safety brief at Grosmont MIC room from 9am until midday. Ian P arrived early, opened up Deviation Shed, got the stove lit ready for the rest of our team and left a list of jobs to be done. During a break in the briefing, Ian had a cuppa at Deviation Shed and found Nigel and Ian M were working on the J27, removing the L/H cylinder cover. I joined a little late as I had called in at Pickering on the way in. We thought both locomotives would be down at the MPD being washed out, and Nigel Crisp had given the day a miss as a result. In the event this had not happened. Nigel Crisp called in during the afternoon to see if the T2 had been moved for its washout. As it had not, we are going to cancel the washout on the T2 and let Nigel get the boring machine set up today so he can start boring again on Saturday. The safety brief was over just after midday and Ian P joined the three of us in removing the L/H cylinder cover, which is now on blocks of wood by the side of the locomotive.

Lunch was had around the stove.

After lunch, Nigel cleaned up the T2 inside frames where the wayshaft housing fits, and also the housings themselves. I had started one housing but had to go and see Sue Smeaton to discuss various items, and by the time I got back it was time for tea, so I washed up, made the tea and filled up the water bottles. Ian M removed all six washout plugs from the T2 smoke box: he found these very tight. Ian P removed two mud hole doors from the throat plate and two from the cab. Only the plugs from the cab and throat to remove. Jon gave the steam brake cylinder a coat of paint and also did some work on the new J27 locker box. During the afternoon, Charlie Woods and Chris Cubitt came up and talked through the possible fitting, and cost, of lights in the cabs of both the T2 and J27 to illuminate the the gauge glasses and various gauges for night time running.

The next T2/J27 working party will be this Saturday, 8 February 2020, with Bryan Orange and the JV's. Lots of cleaning of plugs and doors to be done, and also the wayshaft which is down at the MPD.


Saturday 1st February 2020


Ian Pearson reports a mild windy day at Grosmont with Chris Henwood, Richard De Sadeleer and Chris Wakefield working on the J27, while Nigel Crisp and Ian were on the T2. Nigel had already lit the stove as he was there early, and, when everyone else arrived, the kettle was put on and a brew made. After the cuppa, Chris H, Richard and Chris W went off to work on the J27. Nigel continued work on the T2 R/H cylinder, while Ian started to remove the bar holding the locomotive way shaft. Bill called in for a short spell, mainly to tell Nigel about the washout plan this coming week - both the J27 and T2 are to be washed out. Bill helped Ian remove the bar which was taking the weight of the way shaft. Ian then replaced the bearing and housing caps and screwed them down, along with the fitted bolts on the left-hand side housing into the frame. Next job was to remove both cross heads which was done with help from Chris H and Nigel . Lunch was had around the stove.

After lunch Ian, removed ten mud hole doors from the T2 boiler. These are in the work shop for cleaning. Chris H removed one smoke box plug, but these are very tight and Ian reckons it is a young man's job, so he is leaving the rest for the wash out crew. Nigel completed boring the R/H side cylinder during the afternoon. He was coming in today to set up some equipment on the L/H side which will not interfere with the movement of the locomotive to the MPD for washout. While Ian was under the loco he found that the R/H driving axle box flexible oil pipe was split. This will need replacing.

On the J27, it was very much a prep day. The L/H rods were lifted back on after a new felt was fitted to the trailing bush. The already loosened R/H cylinder cover was then removed. The L/H cover however, will take a good bit of persuasion, similar to the effort Ian M and Frank put in to get the right hand one ready to lower last Wednesday. So this one has been left until next week when bigger working parties are present. Chris H then removed the whistle, freed up the bosses of the safety valves and the whistle itself to be cleaned, and Richard and Chris W removed most of the valves in the cab. Some have been lapped in, others needed some turning. They have been returned to the backhead, ready for more attention next week when any remaining valves will be lapped in. The thread on the blower spindle has some fairly significant 'chipping', which will need to be addressed. Chris H has contacted Neal Woods for advice on how to deal with this. All side rod caps have now been fitted and taper pinned, and the doors and plugs stowed in the lockers. The loco is now ready to be shunted for its washout.

In complete contrast, new J27 caretaker, in his role of master drummer with rock band Revenant - Ian Pearson

The next working party will be on Wednesday 5 February 2020, when, jet lag permitting, I hope to attend myself.

Last Updated on Sunday, 02 February 2020 11:50

Wednesday 29th January 2020


In my continued absence, Ian Pearson reports that it was a fine, cold day at Grosmont yesterday, with Ian himself, Steve Hyman, Nigel Bill, Ian McCall and new member Frank Shotton. Joining later in the day was Gordon Wells, but no Bill or Zack! However, Bill had emailed Ian P a job list, and had left the magdrill for Ian P early morning on Grosmont Station platform after he had repaired it a few days ago. Bill had asked that the hole in the T2 tender way shaft be drilled out, so Ian P took it up to Deviation Shed on a station trolley. Ian M, who was a friend of Frank, took him around the site, and Ian P bumped into Howard Heath during the morning, so arranged for Frank to get on this Saturday 's induction course.

After lighting the stove, a cuppa and a chat about trying the magdrill, the conclusion was reached that it would be very difficult to set up as well as potentially quite dangerous, so, following some advice from Owain, the use of the drill was abandoned. One of the fitted bolts on the locomotive way shaft was extracted, and Nigel is going to take it to Ian Storey's so he can make three new bolts. Ian P, Steve and Nigel finally managed to remove the tender way shaft (see photo) which took all day due to the bolts being rusted in. After the bolts were removed, and with help from Gordon Wells and use of a pair of pull lifts and toggle bars, it was lowered down onto a sleeper and removed to the north end of Deviation Shed ready to go to Owain for machining the brake linkage hole. All the scaffolding was taken down by Nigel, Steve and Ian P and returned to the MPD.

T2 tender way shaft following removal - Ian Pearson

Ian M and Frank worked all day trying to remove the right-hand cylinder cover on the J27. The cover was so tight that it took all day to move it into a position for removal, but by 4pm it was time to go home. So actual removal waits for Saturday.

Arthur Jenkins and John Jones called in Deviation shed during the afternoon for a social visit and made us a cuppa and they also took the magdrill back to Hopetown.

Next T2/Q6/J27 working party will be on Saturday 1 February, with plenty of work on both locomotives, so please make it if you can.

Last Updated on Sunday, 02 February 2020 11:46

Saturday 25th January 2020


Ian Pearson reports a cold dull day at Grosmont yesterday, with Bill Dobson, Nigel Bill, Nigel Crisp and Ian Pearson working on the T2, and Chris Henwood and Trevor Wilford working on the J27. The stove was lit and tea brewed, so a cuppa around the stove and a discussion on how the job of the T2 way shaft movement could best be tackled.

First job was to test the left hand side of the way shaft bearing with a G clamp attached to a long bar, and a measurement taken with a clock gauge showing about 30 thou, while the right hand side had hardly any movement - maybe a couple of thou at most. What was found on the left-hand side was that the housing fitted bolts, of which there are three (see photo) were all loose in the locomotive frames and through into the housing . A bar was then fitted across the frames above the way shaft, with two strops attached to the bar and way shaft. Both housing top caps were removed first. Then it was decided to remove the bottom housing on the left side, as this had the loose fitted bolts. After some time removing very tight fitted split pins (which were awkward to get out standing on the steps in the pit), eventually the three nuts were removed. However, the bolts could not be withdrawn fully as the locomotive wheels were fouling the removal. New fitted bolts will have to be made and holes reamed out. It was suggested that we Jack up the locomotive a couple of inches to allow removal, but this cannot be done while the cylinder boring is under way. So another job on hold until the boring is finished. Nigel Crisp was on the job from early doors yesterday (about 6.30am), boring the right-hand cylinder. He hopes to complete that side next Saturday.

T2 left hand way shaft housing fitted bolts - Ian Pearson.

Lunch for all was held round the stove, accompanied by Zack the dog.

Meanwhile, Trevor and Chris Henwood were working on the J27. Trevor cracked and removed all of the remaining cylinder cover nuts, so the covers are now ready to come off. Chris moved the wooden floor/step sections in the cab, removed the debris from under these, and removed the two foundation ring wash out plugs cab side, followed by the two on the throat plate. The two of them then worked to get rid of a good 3 and a half barrow loads of ash from the smoke box, before Chris removed the

6 wash out plugs from the smoke box. Neal Woods popped in with the replacement valve rings, as well as some used, but good, spares. He also shared information regarding clearances when measuring, and had a general chat about the locomotive with advice on what needs to be done next

The B1 tender has now been put in Deviation Shed pending some electrical work in the near future.

The next T2 working party will be on Wednesday 29 January 2020, with another joint T2/J27 working party on Saturday 1 February. For that, Chris Henwood needs a team to lower the J27 cylinder covers, so please do try to come along and give him your support.

Last Updated on Sunday, 02 February 2020 11:43

Page 3 of 54