North Eastern Locomotive Preservation Group

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Q6 Blog

A record of events, activities and our work with the Q6

Wednesday 26th February 2020


Ian pearson reports a fine cold morning at Grosmont yesterday, but warming up later and sunshine all day! Those present were Bill Dobson, Ian McCall, Frank Shotton and Ian Pearson himself.

First job for Ian P was to to open No 7 Road roller shutter door to allow the J27 to be shunted down to the MPD for washing out. Frank got the job of lighting the stove, while Ian M brewed up our usual cuppa, before Bill arrived. After the J27 had been shunted out, while having the early morning cuppa, Ian M asked whether the spring had been fitted to the T2 steam brake cylinder last week. No was the answer, so Ian M had to remove the cover and fit the spring which was kept down at the MPD. One of the cylinder cover studs had also gone missing so Ian M had to make up a new one which he fitted. Then all the cylinder retaining nuts were flogged up and split pinned. This job is now finally completed. Frank worked underneath the T2 removing split pins and retaining nuts from the right hand side of the reversing weigh shaft housing, while Ian P and Bill set about bringing two 25 ton jacks up from the MPD. They were hoping to use the metal beam from the wheel drops to jack up the engine but, unfortunately, it was in use, so, as an alternative, they tried to use a sleeper, but it wasn’t suitable as the jacks were not level and the idea was abandoned. Jacking up the engine is required so the reversing shaft weigh shaft housing fitted bolts can be removed and the bottom brass and housing taken out as they need white metalling and machining. Alternative methods of trying to remove the brass were tried but nothing worked.

Lunch was had around the stove with the four and Zack the dog.

The J27 was brought back later in the day after washing out. The sleeve on the T2 regulator rod has now been welded onto the rod but it will still require some more work.

63395 tender weigh shaft in machine shop at Grosmont MPD - Ian pearson

Down at the MPD, the tender weigh shaft has been machined and is ready for fitting next week.

Last Updated on Thursday, 27 February 2020 21:25

Saturday 22nd February 2020


Ian Pearson reports that on Friday morning, he and Bill Dobson went to Grosmont and loaded the T2 cylinder head back into Nigel Bill’s van to go back to Ian Storey's for refitting back onto the piston rod. The cylinder heads have been confimed as being steel rather than iron, so are now going to Flavell Engineering for welding. Conveniently Nigel Bill was on a course at Grosmont.

Today it was a fine cold morning driving to Grosmont with speed cameras in operation at Scaling Dam for those coming from Teesside. Strong winds and heavy showers on going through out the day, with only Bill Dobson ,Trevor Wilford, Nigel Crisp and Ian himself at Grosmont today.

Nigel removed all the boring equipment and repacked it into the storage crates ready for removal back to the MPD. He then honed each cylinder and completed the job by early afternoon. Piglet came in and inspected the cylinders and gave them the thumbs up. Bill could only spend an hour on site, so Trevor and Ian decided to clear both side of the bench which is situated around the buffer stop at the north end of No 8 Road. After removal of scrap from around the buffers, lots of nuts, bolts and washers were moved into the workshop along with a large box of J27 bits.

Two old metal trestle legs were found among the rubbish under the bench and these were welded onto the top of the buffer rails, making two uprights to support the bench top. Eventually the bench top was unbolted and moved round to the other side of the buffers and put onto the uprights before time ran out - this project will have to be completed next time. Trevor and Ian had lunch around the stove.



Wednesday 19th February 2020


Ian Pearson reports a fine cold frosty morning with rain after lunch at Grosmont yesterday, with Steve Hyman, Ed Bolam, Ian McCall, Neil Smedley, Nigel Bill (who was on a course in the MIC room until lunchtime), Chris Henwood, Chris Wakefield, Bill Dobson and Ian himself.

The first job of the day started in the car park on arrival, unloading one of the T2 piston heads onto a trolley from Nigel's van, by Ian P, Steve and Bill. It was then taken to the MPD where Phil Naylor may make a pattern from it. Then, not been long in the workshop, just having a cuppa, when the lifting equipment inspector arrived. All our lifting slings, shackles, jacks and hoist, along with our pull lift which was quarantined six months ago, passed the examination and are OK to use.

All lifting equipment is now colour coded RED. There was quite a lot of water in the pit that morning and it was nearly lunch time before it was empty.

A sleeve made by Ian Storey was fitted comfortably onto the T2 regulator rod but it is still to be welded in situ. Ian M cleaned and greased the inside of the tender weigh (apologies for previous inorrect spelling!) shaft housings, and also gave the flange a coat of primer. Ed Nolan cleaned and oiled the T2 tube plate and also cleaned both cylinder covers. Neil cleaned the two remaining top doors from the J27 and they were returned to the locomotive with the rest of the doors and plugs. He also cleaned all 19 of the T2 boiler plugs. On the domestic front, Neil also brought some clean tea towels, a new bowl for washing up, and cleaned all of our pots and tea pot, which are now sparkling. The steam brake piston, rings and cover were brought up from the MPD to Deviation Shed, and the ring grooves cleaned out in readiness for fitting the rings and fitting the piston into the cylinder. After the rings were fitted to the piston head, the inside of the cylinder and rings were given a coat of steam oil and the piston was lowered into the cylinder.

To everyone's amazement it went in without much trouble. Lunch was had around the stove, which didn't get lit until 10.45.

After lunch, with a combined effort, the cylinder was moved into position on the bridge over the pit, and a beam laid across from the loco cab to tender. With the pull lift attached to the beam and two slings around the cylinder, it was lifted up off the bridge which was then removed, our new lifting jack wheeled under the cylinder, and the cylinder lowered onto the jack. It was then wheeled into position and the cylinder raised up onto the studs, the nuts and washers were fitted, and then tightened up. These still need flogging up and the end cover needs fully securing, but the brake cylinder is on. Steve removed both top housings on the locomotive reversing weigh shaft and, with help from Ian P and Nigel, the weight of the weigh shaft was supported with a long bar and slings. The aim is to remove both bottom brasses.

Meanwhile, up on the J27, Chris Wakefield removed the fireman side cab windows. Steve Hyman brought a small ejector spindle, but without the valve, so this will be lapped in and fitted at a later date. The two Chris's then removed the left hand valve cover, and cleaned the gasket off the face. Chris H then refitted the four studs surrounding the cylinders that had come loose when removing the cylinder covers themselves, and then fully prepared all four faces, which are now protected with oil. Barney will provide two copper gaskets for the valve covers, at which point all four covers and associated lubrication pipework can be fitted. Chris H did a similar job to the safety valve and whistle bosses, and made a new gasket for the whistle.

With it being half term holiday week, there were quite a few visitors round the Shed today, including my wife and myself with our three grandchildren, following a walk up Roseberry Topping. Eldest granddaughter being a Badger in St John's Ambulance, she did the monthly defibrillator check.


Saturdaay 15th February 2020


Ian Pearson reports that Deviation Shed received a battering from Storm Dennis at Grosmont yesterday. Chris Henwood, Neal Woods, Trevor Wilford, Nigel Crisp and Ian himself made it through the rain and wind, with Bill calling in briefly in the morning and afternoon. He asked Neal to take the cylinder cock valves back to Darlington for machining, which Neal did. Nigel was in early, boring the left hand cylinder which he completed by 3pm. Nigel will be back next Saturday to hone both cylinders, remove the boring machine, and put all the kit back in the two packing boxes so they can be returned to the MPD. The only other job to report on the T2/Q6 is that the last two plugs from the throat plate were removed by Chris. Lunch was had around the stove while the rain hammered down and tin sheets rattled .

Steady progress was made on the J27. Trevor cleaned all but two of the doors and all of the washout plugs ready for inspection and and then refitting. Neal Woods finished preparing the right hand valve, and, in the afternoon the valve was got back in the liner and fitted, for which many thanks to Neal for his assistance. In doing so, Chris nipped and cut his right middle finger. His finger was cleaned, treated and a plaster applied at the MPD office. It was reported to Paul Middleton and an accident report form filled in. Chris was OK and returned to his work on the J27. Bryan Orange has been informed.

Chris finished boxing up the cab (bar the small ejector valve, of which Neal has taken the spindle away for a replacement to be ordered from M Machine) following the back head exam. He has begun removing the cab windows as they need some TLC and if anybody wants to take them on and do them as a project that would be a great help - contact Chris if interested.


Wednesday 12th February 2020


In my absence at a meeting in Darlington, Ian Pearson reports it was a fine, bitterly cold, day at Grosmont yesterday with a dusting of snow on the moors. With Steve Hyman, Frank Shotton, Jon Bradley, Bill Dobson (briefly on his return from Scotland) and Ian himself. After a short briefing from Bill, lighting the stove and a cuppa, work started.

First job was to check the grease gun worked OK and also the grease nipples on the way shaft housings. One was found to be defective and was replaced but the other one was OK. Steve replaced a broken flexible oil pipe on the right hand rear horn guide. Ian, Steve and Frank took both little end pins and brasses down to the MPD for Owain to make new pins.

The return load from the MPD was bringing the steam brake cylinder back into Deviation Shed for refitting back onto the T2 next week. Lunch was had around the stove.

After lunch, Steve cleaned the carbon from the right hand cylinder bearing. Frank cleaned the lens rings which are part of the header to steam pipe fittings, and also the header and steam pipe connections. Jon arrived after lunch and painted the way shaft and their housings with another coat of black primer, and also dressed the area on the underneath of the tender where where the housings fit. Down at the MPD, steam tests were being carried out on No.29 and the steam crane .

A new hydraulic transmission jack has been purchased for lifting heavy items back onto the locomotives and was delivered today, Thursday, to Deviation Shed by Ian and Gordon. It has a lifting capacity of 300kg and will be a great help for us geriatric volunteers.

The next working party will be on Saturday 15 February 2020 for both the

T2/Q6 and J27. Next Wednesday (19th) is inspection day for the lifting equipment.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 February 2020 16:07

Page 2 of 54