North Eastern Locomotive Preservation Group

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Locomotives K1 62005 K1 Blog Saturday 26th January 2019

Saturday 26th January 2019

Print

Steady progress on the K1's at Carnforth last week. 2 of us on Wednesday, 4 on Thursday, 3 on Friday and 5 on Saturday.

Again our main effort was around on with painting the frames but we also reassembled the axleboxes following completion of the re-metaling and machining by West Coast and continued with refurbishing the ash pan. Repainting the two vacuum tanks also progressed, the tank out of the cab is now completed and ready for refitting but the other one (from between the frames) is only in primer at present.

We also made new shims for the cross heads and removed the remaining rivets which were to be replaced on the frames - the new rivets have now been fitted by West Coast. There are half a dozen running plate rivets still to caulk (should be done on Monday) following which there should be nothing to stop us from completing painting the frames.

On the boiler we have made a good start on preparing the tube plates for fitting the new small tubes, West Coast have completed caulking the new stays on the outer wrapper/back head and have made a start on the inner box. The coaded welder completed the weld repairs on Saturday so I will be arranging to get the welds none destructive tested as soon as possible.

Away from Carnforth Steve Gibson refurbished the ash pan centre hopper door bracket/bearings and a start was made on painting the mech lub drive linkage.

This week there will be working parties on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. The main aims for the week are to have the painting finished to the loco frames, at least as far back as the driving wheel set (this will enable the leading wheel set to be refitted next week) to shim the cross heads and to finish preparing the tube plates for the new tubes.