North Eastern Locomotive Preservation Group

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home About NELPG Committee Reports Report of Board Meeting held 8th July 2019

Report of Board Meeting held 8th July 2019

Print

NELPG 2019/06

Minutes of the meeting of NELPG Ltd
7.30 pm, 8 July 2019
Middlesbrough Municipal Golf Centre


Present: Nigel Bill, Colin Foxton (Chair), Nigel Hall, Paul Hutchinson, Roy Marshall, Richard Pearson and Richard Wheeler.

1. Apologies for Absence –Apologies for absence were received from Bill Dobson, John Hunt, and Chris Lawson.

2. Declarations of Interest – There were no declarations of interest.

3. Minutes of Previous Meeting – The minutes of the 10 June meeting were agreed with minor cosmetic change.

4. Matters Arising Not Covered Elsewhere

4.1 The Chairman had asked the Secretary to bring the following to the attention of the meeting:

4.1.1. Several sets of North Eastern pattern cab windows had been obtained through Steve Andrews and were stored upstairs at Deviation Shed. Steve had suggested that a set of four could be sold to the J21 Group. This was agreed. Action: Secretary to speak to Steve Andrews.

4.1.2 The Chairman had spoken to Steve Davies about the lack of spare springs for the J27. One new and one refurbished spring were to be delivered to Leeming Bar. Action: Richard Pearson.

4.1.3 The Treasurer was to invoice the Mid Norfolk Railway for the Q6 hire at £700 per day. Action: Secretary to provide Treasurer with MNR contact point.

4.1.4 The NYMR had suggested that on the Thursday of the Autumn Gala, NELPG could provide guards, signalmen, ticket collectors, etc, as well as footplate staff. Although requests to be rostered as footplate staff should sent to Steve Conway, requests to be rostered for other roles should be sent to the Secretary. Action: Secretary.

4.1.5 Arrangements for the members’ Diner were in hand and would be advertised in the August News. Members would be limited to two seats each, because of the reduced number of seats since the reintroduction of Garnet.

4.2 Paul Hutchinson reported that the seat dedicated to Richard Campbell had been unveiled on the down platform at Glenfinnan on 6 July.

4.3 It was reported that concerns had been raised about the condition of the track between Grosmont and Whitby. Broken springs might well result.

4.4 Richard Pearson proposed that we should not charge the Wensleydale Railway (WR) for the mileage run by their planned train to thank their sponsors. This was agreed. Action: Richard Pearson to advise WR.

4.5 The arrangements for the J27 at the WR were discussed in more detail. James Pearcy had a full list of steaming dates. Water samples had been taken for analysis by NYMR and a water change was possible during the period of hire. Tools would be loaded on to the tender in preparation for the move and a working party would be arranged for the week 29 July to carry out an FTR exam and a steam test. Richard Pearson suggested that Thursdays be used for maintenance jobs and cleaning, perhaps diverting some of the Hopetown regulars to Leeming Bar for this.

4.6 Ted Parker was unable to assist with the preparation of new information boards for Hopetown. A number of existing boards were held by the Chairman. The Vice Chairman offered to help with production and printing.

4.7 The letter drafted by the Secretary about the conduct of a member at the AGM was approved and would be despatched. Action: Secretary.

4.8 The proposed change of identity for the K1 was discussed – an estimate of costs would be prepared. Action: Paul Hutchinson. Paul suggested that, for the 2020 season, the “Lord of the Isles” nameplates could be used (both intentions would be taken to an SGM for endorsement, though not strictly required by the Articles).

5. Finance

5.1 The Monthly Finance Report had been circulated by the Treasurer. The following points were discussed:

5.1.1 Available funds were £551,641.

5.1.2 A review of membership arrangements was considered. In particular, Patron membership, when patron subscriptions were terminated (subsequent to the meeting it was confirmed that this was properly and capably managed by the Membership Secretary).

5.1.3 Barclays needed personal details for Bill Dobson, Colin Foxton, Paul Hutchinson and Richard Pearson.

5.1.4 Jacobite RO expense claims were required from Paul Hutchinson and Gary Stainburn.

5.1.5 The Treasurer had spent time at Ribchesters, making himself familiar with the new software. He had received a reminder from HMRC about submitting monthly returns – the Group’s charity status had been overlooked!

5.1.6 £30K had been invested in a CCLA account.

5.1.7 It was agreed that the Secretary could proceed with the Hopetown LED pilot at a cost of £625.

6. Succession Planning

6.1 The email exchange between John Graham and Ian Storey had been circulated to the Board. It was confirmed that Ian’s support for the CME in respect of 63395, 65894 and 69023 was agreed, though this was only part of any solution. Although other engineering support had also been offered, this was not taken up by 3 of our locomotive caretakers. The Treasurer suggested that the new arrangement should be formalised - the Vice Chairman said he had started to document the arrangement in chart form. Action: Vice Chairman.

6.2 Other longer-term possibilities were discussed, including a paid CME position, but no potential future CME candidates could be identified.

7. Any Essential Locomotive Updates

7.1 J72 – the planned boiler inspection had revealed no surprises (new copper tubeplate, smokebox wrapper, patch beneath barrel to be extended, some welding up of grooving, etc and full re-tube) – a report would be submitted by the insurance inspector. Expressions of Interest had been invited from 6 companies and three replies had been received. Paul Hutchinson advised that the WCRC 8F was due out of traffic in October and would get priority in any overhaul queue.

7.2 The renewal of the J72 cylinder block was discussed, with concerns expressed about the loss of income and costs incurred, if it failed during the 10-year boiler ticket. It was understood that the opinion of our CME and other engineering input was that a new block was not necessary, at this point. A formal engineering opinion was to be sought. Action: Secretary.

7.3 J27 Hire Contract – Richard Pearson said that there had been a break-in to the Goods Shed at the Wensleydale Railway. He was concerned that the hire agreement should stipulate that the J27 should be locked away in the locomotive shed each night (it was subsequently confirmed with Chris Lawson that this was included in the agreement).

8. Any Other Business

8.1 Paul Hutchinson said that there had been a request from the Great Central Railway to hire the K1 for their gala at the end of January 2020. This would require the K1 to leave the NYMR in early January, since the line would be closed soon after. The GCR requested hire was for 4-5 days and included photo charters. It was suggested that a daily fee of £1200 would be appropriate. NELPG volunteers could be accommodated in the operating arrangements Action: Paul Hutchinson to confirm requirements.

8.2 The Secretary asked whether the proposal in respect of the Bryce Greenfield Collection was approved. Nigel Hall asked what insurance arrangements were in place under the proposal. Action: Secretary to confirm insurance arrangements. Nigel also pointed out that the proposal would better address our objective to “educate and inform”, than the arrangements which had obtained hitherto.

Date of Next Meeting – 12 August 2019

The meeting closed at 10.00pm.

Signed (Chairman) Date

 

 

Last Updated on Saturday, 31 August 2019 14:07