North Eastern Locomotive Preservation Group

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home About NELPG Committee Reports Report of Board Meeting held 12th August 2019

Report of Board Meeting held 12th August 2019

Print

Minutes of the meeting of NELPG Ltd

7.30 pm, 12 August 2019

Middlesbrough Municipal Golf Centre

Present: Bill Dobson, Colin Foxton (Chair), Nigel Hall, Paul Hutchinson, Chris Lawson (by Skype), Richard Pearson and Richard Wheeler. Ian Storey also attended.

1. Apologies for Absence –Apologies for absence were received from Nigel Bill, John Hunt, and Roy Marshall.

2. Declarations of Interest – There were no declarations of interest.

3. Minutes of Previous Meeting – The minutes of the 8 July meeting were agreed.

4. Matters Arising Not Covered Elsewhere

4.1 A second set of North Eastern pattern cab windows had been identified at Hopetown. Nigel Hall suggested that they should be moved to Grosmont. This was agreed. Action: Nigel Hall to arrange.

4.2 The K1 visit to the Great Central Railway in January 2020 was discussed. No firm proposal had yet been received and no daily rate had been suggested, though £900 per day seemed about right. The locomotive would have to leave by road from New Bridge, returning in early February, or alternatively to Carnforth for tyre turning, since there would be no operation at NYMR until April. The support coach is not needed at GCR, so will require a separate move to Carnforth (a financial contribution to the coach move may be possible). A meeting with Paul Middleton and Barney Casey this week would discuss planned work for the K1. Action: Paul Hutchinson to provide details of GCR hire to the Chairman.

4.3 Richard Pearson said that the J27 was being locked in the shed each night at the Wensleydale Railway, but preparation, FTR and disposal, plus any running repairs, were falling to the rostered volunteers, rather than being assisted by WR. The water supply was proving to be satisfactory. Steve Davies had suggested that he would like to keep the J27 a bit longer – Richard would consider whether this could be resourced and advise Steve Davies. Action: Richard Pearson.

4.4 Richard Pearson reported on the circumstances of Steve Hyman's accident. All were glad he had not been more seriously hurt. Richard had been asked to submit a full accident report to the NELPG Safety Officer. Action: Richard Pearson. and the incident would need to be reviewed and any lessons learned. As clearly stated in the hire agreement, operation of the locomotive is the responsibility of the Wensleydale Railway, and all crews operating the locomotive are doing so as employees and representatives of the Railway. It was therefore responsible for reporting the incident to the relevant authorities.

4.5 Steve’s absence would have impact on the coordination of work at Hopetown. Nigel Hall said that, for an outlay of £800 per year, automated assistance could be improved. This expenditure was approved. Action: Nigel Hall.

4.4 Arrangements for the members’ Diner were well in hand – 80% of the available seats had been allocated.

The following items were taken out of order, because of the limited availability of some

Trustees:

4.5 Ian Storey had come to the meeting to clarify his position, which had been approved at the previous meeting. He was confirmed as Assistant Chief Mechanical Engineer (ACME), providing support to the CME and having direct responsibility for 2238, 65894 and 69023. The CME would continue to oversee 62005 and the ACME would liaise with him regularly, keeping him informed The Vice Chairman then circulated an organisation chart, showing the arrangement. The ACME could draw on other expertise from NELPG members as he felt appropriate.

4.6 The arrangements for management of the J72 overhaul were discussed – someone was needed to take charge of the project management, even if not a locomotive engineer. It was suggested that a meeting be called to review the arrangements. Fred Ramshaw, Ian Storey, Paul Hutchinson Neal Woods, Richard Pearson, Colin Foxton and Roy Marshall would be invited. The discussion should include the cylinder block situation. As Paul had limited availability, he would arrange the meeting. Action: Paul Hutchinson.

4.7 The opinion of John Graham, Ian Storey and Neal Woods, on engineering grounds, was that the block did not need to be replaced, but a recommendation in writing was needed, so that the Board could take other factors, including risk and an ageing workforce, into account.

4.8 It was clear that costs were required for all boiler and bottom end work, so that a budget could be set and approval sought from members at an SGM.

5. Business by Email

5.1 The Secretary had requested that the (lightly revised) ICE arrangements (email 19 June) be signed off. It remains to be agreed where the procedure and associated forms are to be held. Action: Secretary.

5.2 The proposals for management of the Bryce Greenfield collection (emails 12 June and 28 July were agreed, including the insurance position. Action: Secretary to draft a formal agreement.

6. Finance

6.1 The Monthly Finance Report had been circulated by the Treasurer. The following points were discussed:

6.1.1 The Mid Norfolk Railway had paid the invoice for hire of the T2.

6.1.2 The K1 overhaul costs could be finalised, now that all expenses (c£3.5K) were in. Final costs for the work were £72,667.40. Some items are normal consumables and some of the funds are from last year’s accounts, so, provisionally, the total spent is c£75600. The locomotive was returned to traffic on time, in difficult circumstances, with insignificant overspend.

6.1.3 Barclays needed personal details for Bill Dobson, Colin Foxton, Paul Hutchinson and Richard Pearson. Action: Bill, Colin, Paul and Richard.

Richard Pearson left the meeting at this point.

6.1.4 AA breakdown cover was to be renewed at £120 in September. A rescue from Rannoch Moor to Teesside had been required.

7. Articles of Association

7.1 To be reported next month. Action: Colin Foxton.

8. H&S Policies for Review

8.1 The Child Protection Policy and Social Media Policy had been withdrawn from the agenda and Nigel Hall had identified minor corrections to the Deviation Shed User Agreement.

9. Any Essential Locomotive Updates

9.1 Paul Hutchinson said he would supply his comments on the NYMR Collaboration Agreement in the next 7 days. Bill Dobson would comment too. See existing actions.

9.2 Gordon Wells had expressed concern about the lighting on the Santa Specials and about the reduced mileage (Pickering to Levisham and return). NYMR has requested the J27 for a festival of lights special. This use of the J27 had been agreed several months ago.

9.3 Responsibility for the J27 Winter maintenance plan was queried. The demand for volunteers at Grosmont would be high this year, with 3 locomotives in Deviation Shed.

9.4 Bill Dobson was going to NRM York to seek T2 safety valve drawings to enable machining of the new castings.

9.5 The T2 would be withdrawn from service in the middle of October. Winter work would require space to be cleared inside Deviation Shed.

9.6 The K1 did not need a lot of Winter work, but tyre turning was required (see 4.2).

9.7 Ian Storey and Bill Dobson were to meet with Paul Middleton and Barney Casey to discuss crew familiarity with individual locomotives. Action: Ian Storey, Bill Dobson to report outcomes.

9.10 Paul Hutchinson would advise Nigel Bill that a low roof transit with crew cab would be ideal. A sliding door van could be modified.

10. Any Other Business

10.1 The Chairman and Secretary had met Mike Crawshaw and Ian Thompson of Darlington Borough Council to hear about the plans for the Darlington Heritage Quarter, including Hopetown and nearby sites. They have suggested coming to our October meeting to explain to the Board.

10.2 John Midcalf had advised that, at the end of the current programme of Social Meetings, he would stand down from his post as Organiser. This is another example of the need for effective succession planning.

10.3 Two of our JVs have enquired about PTS. At 16, they are too young to go on Jacobite support duty unsupervised. Action: Paul Hutchinson to speak to the JVs.

Date of Next Meeting – 9 September 2019

The meeting closed at 10.00pm

Signed (Chairman) Date

Last Updated on Friday, 20 December 2019 14:42