North Eastern Locomotive Preservation Group

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

17th April 2017

Print

We had a satisfactory 3 days with the K1 over Easter.

On Saturday the loco was weighed, a few small jobs carried out which came to light on the loco's last steaming (last Wednesday) the lagging and cladding replaced over the outer wrapper repair area and finally, the loco was lit up.

On Sunday the sand pipes were refitted (they have to be removed to weigh the loco) some rotten boards were replaced to the cab floor and the loco and coach were prepped for the following day's test run. The last thing to do (or so we thought) was to move the engine under its own power in order to warm the front end a little before we gave the cylinder covers a final nip. This we did but then discovered that as we had moved the RH side of the fall plate had somehow got caught under the tender floor and distorted to such an extent that the loco could not run the next day.

An hour's work with the oxy gear and a sledge hammer got us to the point where we could run the next day but we have decided to replace the fall plate before the loco leaves Carnforth for Scotland at the end of this month. This set back almost cost us our tea - we got to the only hostelry in town serving food with minutes to spare.

Monday's test run was very straightforward. We ran to time, the new white metal settled in very nicely, everything worked as it should and there is very little new work identified.

We left a back end in overnight as West Coast steamed the loco again today so that the annual TPWS/OTMR maintenance could be competed (which has now been done).

Whilst the mechanical work has now been largely completed and the loco is more or less ready to undertake its rostered work, it does look a bit tatty. The aim is to improve the loco's appearance before it leaves Carnforth. We also intend to clean and tidy the interior of the coach and paint all of the previously painted floors.