Last night we received final approval from our insurers to proceed with the K1’s throat plate repair.
The weld repair will therefore be carried out by Flavells on Friday. The insurance annual cold exam was undertaken last week without issue. Rich Pearson and I started boxing the boiler back up yesterday and I will finish this on Friday while the welding is being done.
The plan from there is to NDT the repair early next week but as Carnforth depot will be effectively shut down for Christmas from this Friday lunchtime it will not be possible to move the loco to Grosmont until early January. I have therefore, in order to reduce the risk of frost damage over the Christmas period, decided to delay the hydraulic and steam tests on the repair (and insurance hot exam) until the first week of January.