Ian reports two rather mild windy days with an occasional shower at Grosmont this week, with Bill Dobson, Ian Pearson, Nigel Bill, Jon Bradley and Gordon Wells on Tuesday, and Bill Dobson, Ian Pearson and Ed Bolam on Wednesday.
The following jobs were done over the two days:
- Right hand connecting rod fitted to the crosshead and secured.
- Two new cotters fitted to the crosshead little end castellated nuts.
- Five sections of the cab backplate undercoated.
- Righthand piston fitted into the cylinder using the engine lift and lifting table.
- Lubricator, atomisers and lefthand piston rings loaded into Jon Bradley’s car for delivery to Matthew Storey's workshop for repairs and rectification, and new fittings on the atomisers.
- New taper pin split, cut, and fitted to the righthand piston head nut.
- Left and right little end oil pots fitted (see photo).
- New steel angle brackets cut and drilled to be fitted to the frames to enable the oil pipes to connect to the axle boxes (see photo).
- One of the brackets was temporarily fitted by Bill Dobson after drilling and tapping (see photo).
- Lefthand piston head nut cotter cut and fitted.
- Righthand piston packing fitted but not yet secured.
Elsewhere, as Chris Henwood has reported separately, there was a mega shunt at the MPD yesterday to get the J27 on to the back of No 4 Road so the buffer beam can be removed and work started on the cylinder rebore (see photo). A reminder therefore that there will be a J27 working party this Saturday 27 February to progress this work. If you are willing and able to help, please contact Chris direct on 07929 733934 - he would love to hear from you! On Saturday there will also be a working party on the K1 - please contact Paul Hutchinson direct on 07964 988551 if you want to join him.
On the Railway itself, as many of you will be aware from Chris Price's recent video message, the NYMR is planning to reopen from 1 May.