We have now started the pre-overhaul dismantling of the K1 in order to better assess the work required.
So far the following have been removed:
- Cylinder covers
- Cross head cotters
- Piston packings
- Piston valves
- Cylinder drain pipework
- Coupling and connecting rods
- Concrete arch
- Safety valves
- Ejector exhaust (internal and external)
- Primary smokebox screen
- Boiler doors
In addition the firebox wrapper cladding is ready to lift off as soon as the whistle has been removed, all clack box valves have been stripped and serviced, the gauge frames have been stripped for inspection and the foundation ring has been swilled out.
Many thanks to Steve Gibson, Les Harper, Roland Bingham and Angie for the work done so far.
We would have removed the pistons by now but unfortunately the 8" dolly which forms part of the crosshead splitting gear was missing when I collected the gear from Grosmont on Friday. If any one knows where the missing dolly is then please let me know as soon as possible.